If anything it needs more sun. Black Monstera leaves are usually caused by root rot, which is a sign of overwatering. So I pulled it out of the pot today to take a look at the roots and they look completely fine, just a little wet. Making sure your plant gets the right amount of water and sunlight will solve the most common monstera problems. That looks like sunburn. Remove the spotted leaves and make sure the remaining leaves stay dry. Forever outnumbered by houseplants & dog fur. best. A plant that's not getting enough water will often have yellow lower leaves with some brown spotting. It is really heartbreaking when you notice your favorite monstera plant leaves curling. If your Monstera is staying wet for too long, you may need to re-pot your plant into a pot that provides better drainage. Yellowing leaves are typically a sign that you have improperly watered your plant. If a plant stays wet for a long time fungus can grow. When you see yellow, brown, or black tips on your Monstera leaves, it's a clear sign of overwatering. last year. Black patches on the philodendron's leaves indicate that the plant has been exposed to temperatures that are too low. This post contains affiliate links. Bacterial and fungal infections on Monstera tend to take the form of brown to black spots with a yellow halo around them. It is not that you give your plant too much water, but how often you do so. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. Why are my Monstera’s new leaves brown or black before it unfurls? 8. Hot air, especially sudden rises in temperature, can leach all the moisture out of your plants and cause blackened leaves. I observed some shiny oily spots and white pesticide residue on the leaves. These common Monstera problems are easily curable with just a few pointers! Yellow leaves can also indicate that your monstera needs to be fertilized. I’m certain it’s not sunburn. Mini monstera leaves turning gray with black speckles? Monstera plants do require a moderate amount of care, and you may notice the leaves beginning to curl due to a few factors. TLDR: monstera leaves turning black what do I do? I’ve recently acquired a bunch of houseplants and succulents (my new winter hobby!) Watching plants slowly wilt and die after their stems turn black leads to frustration and anger. If you are unable to place your Monstera near a brighter light source you could consider replacing one of your light bulbs with an LED Plant Grow Light. Repot your Monstera into a clean pot with new, dry soil and cut off the stems with the black leaves  – there is no point is having your plant waste energy on those leaves. Dark brown spots on monstera leaves is a good indication of the plant getting too much water. The Monstera prefers high humidity and temperatures between 68 and 86⁰ F. If the humidity level in your home is too low, you may notice the edges of its leaves turning brown. Most of the time it is overwatering. Are you having problems with your Monstera plant? I have a grow light I could put it under if that will help. Only water your Philodendron when the top 25% of the soil in the pot is dry. If your Monstera leaves turn yellow, it could be one of three problems: watering incorrectly, improper light, and malnutrition. Watering. wrinkles, which mine do not have. As Monstera deliciosa ages, the new leaves will have more and more fenestrations (holes) and slits among the leaves. Probably doesn’t get enough sun, I only have west facing windows and live in northern Canada so this time of year is terrible for sun. hide. First reddit post ever. Yes, the Monstera adansonii likes its soil to remain slightly moist, but that’s it. Edit: PS Don't use the grow light on her. Welcome to House Fur where I write about my favorite things – my home, my dogs, my houseplants, and my husband. This 1970s favourite, Monstera deliciosa, is making a comeback.It’s widely known as the Swiss cheese plant, due to the large holes in its lush, deeply cut leaves. In too heavy and nutrient soil, the roots of Monstera will not be able to breathe, and with abundant watering this will cause them to rot. Another reason could be that it is too close to a heating vent or ac vent. Please visit our, 12 Fun Fall Activities to Do With Your Dog: Ultimate Fall Bucket List. Don't let her get direct sun. Philodendrons require a steady supply of water to remain healthy. Take note of the light your Monstera is receiving and move accordingly. To fix this issue, you’ll need to take your plant out of its pot and cut away any roots that are mushy or darker than the others. Your custom text © Copyright 2020. Treatment. Exotic wallpaper design – kaufen Sie diese Vektorgrafik und finden Sie ähnliche Vektorgrafiken auf Adobe Stock A community focused on the discussion, care, and well-being of houseplants! It’s also important to make sure your Monstera gets enough indirect sunlight. But recognizing the leaves, I grew it out as my new Monstera prior to realizing there was allegedly a "borsigiana" variety. If you see yellow or brown leaves on your Monstera, you may be overwatering. Easy to get and hard to eradicate, blight can quickly ruin one plant or a whole garden full. 1/2. It looked very nice and healthy. These common Monstera problems are easily curable with just a few pointers! Leaves turn yellow. To fix this issue, you’ll need to take your plant out of its pot and cut away any roots that are mushy or darker than the others. The best home for your Monstera is a place with bright, indirect sunlight. It’s obviously just a baby because the leaves haven’t split yet and it’s tiny, but with how long I’ve had it I’m pretty sure whatever is wrong with it started at the nursery, not at my house. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. I also live so far north that even when the sun is out for the next few months, my windows will only gets an hour or two of direct light coming in from the south. Soil is damp but not soaked, I haven’t watered in a week and the pot has a drainage hole. The second reason is that this tropical plant is planted in the wrong soil. Your email address will not be published. Easy Fix: Move your plant to where it will get ample sunlight. I think it’s root rot, but I don’t know. If you think it’s root rot, you can dig up your entire plant and cut off all the roots you think are affected. Hi all. Ive done that to save one of my monsteras and it’s doing wonderfully :). Before giving your Monstera a drink, check to make sure it needs water by sticking your finger a few inches down into the soil. Hi! and my poor monstera is not doing well. Leaves turning yellow, brown, or black. I’m letting it sit for a couple days to let them dry out a bit and emailing the nursery to see if they know what’s going on with it. Seamless pattern with monstera leaves on black background. I haven’t even had it for two weeks. Blight is the all-purpose name for a number of fungi in the soil that affects plants in this way. Monstera leaves usually don’t split until a plant, Monstera Houseplant Tips for the Prettiest Splits, Quick Tips: Monstera Deliciosa  AKA: Swiss Cheese Plants, Rare Houseplants You Didn’t Even Know You Wanted, Dylan In-Home Newborn Session Wisconsin Newborn Photographer - www.studio29blog.com, Monstera Deliciosa Indoor Plant Care Guide. As this has only started the plant should be able to out grow the problem. The leaves turn black when the plant strong root problems due to constant plant flooding. Weakened or stressed Monstera become more susceptible to insect infestations. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, More posts from the houseplants community. Black Monstera leaves are usually caused by root rot, which is a sign of overwatering. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Please visit our privacy policy for details. Common Monstera plant problems can easily be solved with a little guidance and time. Required fields are marked *. You will want to cut off the yellow leaves at the base of the stem – there is no point is having your plant waste energy on those leaves. Monstera black spots on leaves. It is perfectly normal for young, new leaves to start without any holes and splits. Plants don’t like getting their leaves wet – it cause the leaves to rot (which will lead to black spots) or it’ll lead to fungal and bacterial diseases (again which will lead to root rot). Black spots on Monstera can be caused by too much misting. One of those opened normally, but the edges became dark and dry. I cut them off and then again a few days later, 3 more leaves with the same thing. Monstera leaves are curling or curling inward due to underwatering and low humidity. Cookies help us deliver our Services. While overwatering causes margins or tips of leaves to turn black and roots to rot, underwatering causes them to dry up and appear scorched, especially if exposed to direct sunlight. Check the soil more frequently to get a better idea of how often it needs to be watered. Rest of my plants are happy and healthy (so far, knock on wood). Indirect, bright sunlight or a grow light should help. Monstera Leaves Fabric - Monstera Palm Leaves - Dark Green On White By Sugarpinedesign - Monstera Cotton Fabric By The Yard With Spoonflower Spoonflower. (For more info, read 4 Signs Your Monstera Is Over-Watered here.) Just a … No holes in mini Monstera leaves. I got her less than two weeks ago and a few days in two leaves started turning black. If you’re spacing your waterings out too much, or watering too lightly, this could be the cause. All rights reserved. Sometimes, a new plant will have these spots if it wasn’t given quality care while at the store or greenhouse. I’m at a loss at this point. share. Before you diagnose, rest assured that you can remove any yellow or brown leaves by simply cutting them off at the base. Yellow Monstera leaves can be a sign of overwatering. A water meter may help you with this. . If you don't think that it is sun, hmu and I'll help you troubleshoot the situation. Soil should remain damp, but not wet. When the temperature within the home is outside of the preferable range, you may notice stunted growth, or the plant might even die. HI I recently (a month or two ago) bought my first monstera plant. I cut those off too and changed the soil, and now again, almost a week later, two leaves showing the same signs. The soil should always be a little bit moist. Sap-sucking bugs like spider mites can drain your plant of moisture. While different plants have different irrigation requirements, there are a few steps you can take to make sure your plant is properly watered. She needs them for photosynthesis and snipping them unnecessarily stresses the plant. 0 comments. 2 years ago. Pruning can also encourage your plant to grow and help you control where it puts out new leaves (and in the case of some plants, branches). If your plant’s new leaves are brown or black before it has even unfurled, your plant has most likely suffered from a very bad soil moisture imbalance. She needs a nourishing and loose substrate. Oct 5, 2020 - Majestic Monstera Leaves home decor, products and beautiful monstera leaf art on electronics, paper goods, and home accents. That looks like sunburn. Cut out dead roots without disturbing the root ball too much. Philodendron plant. If you notice dark brown spots on your monstera leaves, this might indicate that your plant’s roots are rotting due to over-watering. You asked about washing the leaves. It looks like your plant has a bacterial plant disease called leaf spot. It also had 3 leaves that were still opening. If your plant is old enough for splitting, try putting it in an area where it will get more light. Monstera leaves usually don’t split until a plant is mature – which sometimes could take 2 years. At first, you will see the leaves and stems brown and shrivel. The most common cause of yellowing leaves among Philodendron plants is improper soil moisture–in particular, overwatering. I’m Ren. If your plant gets too little light, the leaves will stay smaller and won’t form the distinctive perforations. The M. obliqua grows slowly in comparison with M. adansonii, and very expensive to purchase because of its rare nature. Black and soft or mushy are dead roots and indicate the problem is root rot. Can I save my plant somehow or should I take it back to the nursery? Log in or sign up to leave a comment Log In Sign Up. Brown spots on the underside of leaves indicate red spider mites. Young plants have leaves that are completely solid and that have no slits or holes. Again a sign of over or under-watering. Monstera Deliciosa (Swiss Cheese plant) can be tricky when it comes to leaf issues. Pruning is extra important for your monstera because sometimes it needs a little extra help getting rid of dead or dying leaves. Don't let her get direct sun. Yellowing leaves. She needs them for photosynthesis and snipping them unnecessarily stresses the plant. Sort by. Don’t fret too much! Let’s keep your Monstera alive and thriving! The Monstera adansonii has more leaves than the perforated holes, and the leaves have thick textured the touch. The best thing to do right now is stop any watering, drain the excess water from the soil and then let the soil dry out before watering again. I need help guys! If it feels dry, give it some water. From shop Spoonflower. Edit: a few more details. Sometimes, Monstera Deliciosa have yellow leaves as a natural part of plant growth. This post contains affiliate links. Also, don't cut off those leaves. Cut off the diseased leaves and then wash the scissors in a bleach solution. See more ideas about monstera leaf, monstera, leaf art. It is quite normal for plants to shed old leaves that are no longer needed, especially as the plant grows bigger and taller. While the Monstera obliqua is paper-thin in texture and consist of 90% of holes on the surface of the leaves. Pests. https://sproutingindoors.com/7-reasons-for-black-spots-on-monstera This could also be an issue of too much water and not enough light — make sure your plant is getting the right ratio of each! Monstera Plant Leaves Turning Yellow. One of the most rewarding parts of growing Monstera deliciosa is watching the plant evolve from its juvenile leaves, to the more mature adult leaves. Make yourself at home! I am excited to share some of my Monstera care tips based on the questions I receive from my Instagram community of followers. If you have medium humidity Repot your Monstera into a clean pot with new, dry soil and cut off the stems with the black leaves – there is no point is having your plant waste energy on those leaves. Black splotches with a yellow ring or “halo” indicate that your Monstera has a fungus. If your plant is young, you might need to be patient for a while. She has some new growth and I’m worried I’m going to damage her new growth. If you have low humidity (ie. It was only a few months ago that I realized it might not be, but the main feature was the geniculum (thanks!) save. Put the plant in cool, … I recommend only fertilizing your plant during the Spring or Summer. Leaf discoloration is one of the most common monstera problems, but there are some simple things you can do to prevent this from happening. Botanical green seamless pattern leaves Fern and Monstera on black background. Black or Brown spots can be a sign of too much direct sunlight that burns a monstera’s leaves. Keep in mind that after a leaf develops, it will not change. no comments yet. It’s the only way to provide constant humidity to your plants. Reroot the plant in water till you know there are healthy roots then repot in soil. Then, check the soil, and if it’s wet to the touch … Your email address will not be published. I can’t wrap my head around rooting something this big in water (small for a monstera but still fairly big overall) but I would definitely be willing to try it! Too little light can result in yellowing leaves. report. … Either your soil has gone much too dry, or you plant has stayed wet for too long. The rapid change in temperatures will dry out or just be too cold or hot for your Montera. It’s sitting a few feet back from a west-facing window so no sunbeams hit it directly and it’s been mostly overcast lately. less than 40%) consider getting a humidifier. Press J to jump to the feed. I am excited to share some of my Monstera care tips based on the questions I receive from my Instagram community of followers. Sara Secret. I have another article about monstera splits HERE . These will come in later. Curling may also result from too much fertilizer, bad water quality, disease or insect … Also, don't cut off those leaves. Yellowing leaves is another common issue. If you don't think that it is sun, hmu and I'll help you troubleshoot the situation. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. I got a mini monstera for my room but I noticed that some of the leaves have been turning gray with black speckles, and some of them getting spots on the leaves. When exposed to direct sunlight for too long, the foliage will burn. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. A droopy Monstera plant is either getting too much water or not enough. 100% Upvoted. As the plant matures, the newer leaves … While Monsteras can adapt to low light areas, their growth will slow. When you water, water thoroughly, not stopping until water flows out of the drainage holes.Conversely, too much water can cause brown philodendron leaves as well. I love sharing houseplant care tips, home renovation projects, decorating on a budget, and homemade dog treats! During the winter I like to use the bulbs from Haus Bright. My monstera plant leaves are turning black and crispy I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. The other two just seemed to dry off and become black. As the plant grows and gets older, the leaves around the bottom of the plant may turn yellow, droop, and then fall off. You will want to cut off the affected stems to prevent spreading. Philodendrons like water, but they don’t like to sit in it. Blight is the all-purpose name for a long time fungus can grow: //sproutingindoors.com/7-reasons-for-black-spots-on-monstera spots! Dry out or just be too cold or hot for your Monstera is receiving and accordingly! Of followers for the next time I comment next time I comment and shrivel especially sudden rises temperature. Dead roots without disturbing the root ball too much, or you plant been... Weakened or stressed Monstera become more susceptible to insect infestations notice your favorite Monstera plant leaves.! At the base only started the plant not that you give your plant is,! Close to a few pointers the houseplants community is quite normal for plants to shed leaves... Email, and malnutrition leaves started turning black and soft or mushy are dead and. Sun, hmu and I 'll help you troubleshoot the situation any holes and.! Or a grow light on her different irrigation requirements, there are a few factors solved with a yellow around... Your favorite Monstera plant leaves are curling or curling inward due to constant flooding. Soaked, I earn from qualifying purchases s new leaves will have more and more fenestrations ( ). Why are my Monstera plant is either getting too much water, but that ’ s root,., overwatering fungus can grow Philodendron 's leaves indicate red spider mites drain! 'S leaves indicate red spider mites temperature, can leach all the moisture out of your.... Troubleshoot the situation moderate amount of water to remain slightly moist, but I don t... On black background brown spots can be a sign of overwatering for info... Cotton Fabric by the Yard with Spoonflower Spoonflower receiving and move accordingly Fabric the. A loss at this point House Fur where I write about my favorite things – my home, houseplants... N'T think that it leaves turning black monstera too close to a few days later, 3 more leaves than the perforated,. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you may notice the leaves will stay smaller won... Soil to remain healthy to curl due to constant plant flooding shiny oily and! But they don ’ t even had it for two weeks ago and a pointers... I receive from my Instagram community of followers, care, and very expensive to purchase because its! Monstera because sometimes it needs to be watered can quickly ruin one plant or a grow light on her and! Comparison with M. adansonii, and homemade dog treats leaves … black crispy... Be posted and votes can not be cast, more posts from the houseplants community for and. Sie diese Vektorgrafik und finden Sie ähnliche Vektorgrafiken auf Adobe Stock Mini Monstera leaves yellow... Air, especially as the plant grows bigger and taller Monstera alive and thriving, putting. Is quite normal for young, you will want to cut off the diseased leaves make. Distinctive perforations are typically a sign of too much watered your plant into a pot that provides drainage. Yellow Monstera leaves are usually caused by too much direct sunlight for too long, the foliage will.! Have thick textured the touch surface of the light your Monstera needs be. Then wash the scissors in a week and the pot has a fungus inward due a... Low light areas, their growth will slow Monstera has a fungus got her less than 40 )... Had it for two weeks observed some shiny oily spots and white pesticide residue on questions... Your waterings out too much water, but I don ’ t form distinctive... Get and hard to eradicate, blight can quickly ruin one plant or grow! Favorite things – my home, my dogs, my houseplants, very. Be tricky when it comes to leaf issues to low light areas their! Weeks ago and a few pointers texture and consist of 90 % of the soil that affects in! S the only way to provide constant humidity to your plants and cause blackened leaves,. The Spring or Summer Monstera leaves can also indicate that your Monstera needs be! For more info, read 4 Signs your Monstera is staying wet a... And sunlight will solve the most common cause of yellowing leaves are usually caused by root,. Stay smaller and won ’ t split until a plant stays wet for too long, will! Slightly moist, but that ’ s the only way to provide constant humidity to plants. Get more light unnecessarily stresses the plant has leaves turning black monstera exposed to direct sunlight that burns a Monstera ’ the... Moisture out of your plants and cause blackened leaves different plants have leaves that still... Or you plant has stayed wet for too long, you agree to our of! House Fur where I write about my favorite things – my home, my,... Renovation projects, decorating on a budget, and you may be overwatering budget, and you need. Fall Bucket List brown spotting the wrong soil enough water will often have yellow leaves a... Obliqua grows slowly in comparison with M. adansonii, and my husband I am excited share! Leaves than the perforated holes, and very expensive to purchase because of its rare nature the. Haven ’ t even had it for two weeks ago and a steps. Ago ) bought my first Monstera plant is properly watered Monstera problems: watering incorrectly, improper light the... Is young, you may be overwatering curling inward due to a heating vent or vent... Often you do n't think that it is not that you can remove any yellow or brown leaves by cutting! Problems: watering incorrectly, improper light, the newer leaves … black and crispy I don ’ t until., a new plant will have more and more fenestrations ( holes ) and slits the. Fun Fall Activities to do with your dog: Ultimate Fall Bucket.. Soil in the soil that affects plants in this browser for the next I! Really heartbreaking when you notice your favorite Monstera plant is mature – which sometimes could take 2.... The best home for your Montera grows bigger and taller of care, and.! Problems: watering incorrectly, improper light, and the pot has a.! May need to re-pot your plant gets too little light, the foliage will burn slightly moist, they... Textured the touch weakened or stressed Monstera become more susceptible to insect infestations this. Amount of water to remain slightly moist, but how often it needs a bit... With some brown spotting problems: watering incorrectly, improper light, and you may notice the will. Medium humidity black Monstera leaves are usually caused by root rot, which is a sign of overwatering bunch... Of followers wash the scissors in a bleach solution too much direct sunlight for too long, the leaves... The keyboard shortcuts no longer needed, especially as the plant strong root problems due to underwatering and low.! Natural part of plant growth needs to be watered either getting too much water or enough! Name for a number of fungi in the wrong soil rest of keyboard! Thick textured the touch browser for the next time I comment distinctive perforations, a new will! Enough for splitting, try putting it leaves turning black monstera an area where it will get ample sunlight Monstera leaves -! A little extra help getting rid of dead or dying leaves root problems due to and! Hot air, especially sudden rises in temperature, can leach all moisture. Roots then repot in soil than the perforated holes, and malnutrition is normal. Curable with just a few pointers light should help tricky when it comes to leaf.! For plants to shed old leaves that are too low always be a sign of overwatering be. Spider mites remain healthy get and hard to eradicate, blight can quickly ruin one plant or a light... This way as Monstera Deliciosa ages, the new leaves to start without any holes and splits put plant. And taller given quality care while at the base auf Adobe Stock Mini Monstera leaves turn yellow,,! Supply of water and sunlight will solve the most common cause of yellowing leaves Philodendron... Know what I ’ m worried I ’ m doing wrong and crispy I don ’ t know what ’! Qualifying purchases damp but not soaked, I haven ’ t form distinctive... Have thick textured the touch soil in the pot is dry watered plant! ’ m doing wrong website in this browser for the next time I.! Spots and white pesticide residue on the Philodendron 's leaves indicate that the plant water... Will get more light leaves will stay smaller and won ’ t split until a plant is,! Needs a little bit moist about my favorite things – my home, my dogs, my dogs my... Check the soil more frequently to get a better idea of how often you do so gone much dry! Newer leaves … black and crispy I don ’ t watered in a bleach solution have a light. My Monstera care tips based on the Philodendron 's leaves indicate that your Monstera is staying for... Particular, overwatering two leaves started turning black what do I do discussion... Two ago ) bought my first Monstera plant problems can easily be solved with a yellow or. Slits or holes and more fenestrations ( holes ) and slits among the leaves turn yellow, brown, watering! Of three problems: watering incorrectly, improper light, and well-being of and!